Sunday, January 5, 2014

New Years Race 1/2 Marathon (Los Angeles at Night)

Last night I had my first run of 2014, some of you may have seen the email I sent out that gave you the chance to follow me live during the run.

The run was set to start at 7:00pm from 7th and Grand (the heart of downtown LA) and up to dodger stadium and back, with lots of zigging and zagging and hills… oh god the hills…

This was probably the hardest course I've run with exception to mud runs, climbing over 500 feet in a couple miles, really zaps the legs. I was hoping to finish the 13.1 mile race in a time of under two hours (which would be a new PR) but unfortunately that didn't happen. I finished the race with a time of 2:02:59.0 just under my old PR (2:03:06) for a half marathon, which was the first half of the long beach marathon (much flatter)

My official time can be found here: http://www.geminitiming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/nyr_half_fl_14.htm (I am listed as 789 out of 3714) people, however, that is based on time of the gun. Not time of the chip, so I think I should be ranked higher.

Photos can be viewed here: http://www.marathonfoto.com/
To find photos of me type "Burkett" in the last name box and click the link for "New Years Race 1/2 Marathon & 5K." At the time of writing this email, no photos are up

The best part about the race was my parents decided to come to the race and surprise me. There I am warming up for the race, I turn around and there is my mom and dad. It was AMAZING that they came down to watch the run. I had originally told them it wouldn't be worth their time because the course didn't double back on itself and it would be boring for them to see me start and finish. But they still showed up!