Saturday, March 21, 2015

A Lot To Update

A lot to update since the last post, I mean, the last post was in the beginning of August 2014!!!!

I'll try and keep this one short, however, I would like to post weekly updates of our training, dates, times, splits (if possible) any post race reports, etc... Sometimes when running across random blogs, you never know who may read it and think to themselves, they can do it, so can I!

Since August, let's see a quick recap:

August: Santa Barbara Triathlon
Flat tire right off the start on the bike and got cramped legs about 5 miles into the run, The run was the weak point on this race.

October: Long Beach Marathon
Ran the Long Beach Marathon for the second year in a row, wasn't able to fit in a 20 miler training run, max was 16 miles, substituted long miles for total volume, Shaved 14 minutes off the previous year and set a New PR.

January: Disney's Star Wars Half Marathon
Ran Hard and Fast, set a new PR, by almost 8 minutes off my previous PR set at Disney's Tinkerbell the year prior

February: Surf City Half Marathon
After running the full Marathon last year, I decided to run the Half Marathon this year. I broke the PR I set at the Star WArs Half Marathon by about 36 seconds. New / Current PR now stands at: 1:41:27 (looking to break 1:40 at my next Half Marathon)

February: City of Bell 5k
Up until this race, I had never run a 5k in a race. So I didn't really know what to expect, however, with that being said, I knew I could complete the race in under 23 minutes, as I have training routes that are just around 5k. Even though I think the race wasn't quite at the 3.11 mile (5k) distance, it appeared to only be a flat 3 miles, my official time for that race was 19:59.6  (point 4 in front of 20 minutes).

February: New Bike Day
After a few months of saving up a small portion of my paycheck, I was finally able to afford to a Triathlon Package from Nytro that included a Tri bike, tri suit, wet suit, helmet, and several hundred dollars of other items needed to "survive" a long race.

and now here we are, 1 week away from Ironman Oceanside 70.3. That is a 1.2 Mile Swim, 56 Mile Bike, and a 13.1 Run.

I really enjoy giving myself ambitious goals and try and go out to achieve. Hoping to meet the goal or even surpass the goals I set myself. After a disapointing 7 1/2 Hour 70.3 race in June 2014, I am looking to DESTROY that time and finish under 6 hours this year. Here's a high level overview of how I hope to do:

Swim:    38:43
T1:           5:00
Bike:   3:06:40
T2:           5:00
Run:    1:57:54

FINISH: 5:50:17


My Goal is to give myself a big enough coushin from the Swim / Bike to give myself time on the Run, however, I also know how much I struggle on the run after Biking. I've trailered my training efforts to help me counter that. Twice a week, I do a spin class at the gym for an hour, and then immediately jump on a treadmill for 2 miles to make sure I can still run. I've also done a couple runs after doing long rides on Saturday afternoons. Most Recently I did a 2 mile run (maintaining an 8:13/mile pace) following a 40 mile ride. It took about 3/4 of a mile for me to find my legs and find my stride, but I'm confident.

Hopefully my Next post will be a successful post of the recap from Ironman Oceanside 70.3!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Upcoming Races

3/28/15 - Oceanside Ironman 70.3
5/03/15 - OC Half Marathon
08/22/15 Santa Barbara Long Course Triathlon registered
11/15/15 Ironman Arizona registered